Now we’re entering party food season we wanted to share the secret recipe for our favourite & easiest homemade Christmas party food. Perfect for Christmas party nibbles, these sausage puff pastry ‘presents’ don’t take long to make and are really easy. As well as being a great Christmas party food recipe, these are good for warming Winter post-work snacks or easy lunchboxes! Get creative with the shapes & make the parcels into stars or Christmas trees and the kids will go mad for them and switch out the apple sauce for your children’s favourite sauces if you have fussy ones – our kids also love cranberry sauce or honey mustard with these sausage puff pastry presents!
– 1 pack of our Great Taste Award winning Proper Porker sausages
– 1 large red onion, sliced
– 3 tsp white sugar
– 2 Cooking apples
– 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
– 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
– 1/2 tsp cinnamon
– 1 pack of puff pastry
– 1 beaten egg
– Hazelnuts (crushed)
- Add a large knob of butter to a frying pan and melt over a low heat.
– Add the red onion slices with the white sugar & stir until the onions are caramelised (about 15 mins).
– To make your apple sauce, peel, core and chop
your cooking apples into large cubes.
– Add the apple alongside apple cider vinegar, cayenne pepper and cinnamon to the pan and cook for 20-30 minutes until the the apples have caramelised & the mixture has reduced. Your sauce should still have nice chunks of apple in it.
– Set aside to cool.
– Take a pack of our sausages and run a knife down each of the sausages lengthways, removing the skin.
– Divide each sausage into two, shaping into balls.
– Unroll your puff pastry sheet, and cut into 12 squares.
– Add a spoon of apple sauce to each square then add the sausage ball & caramelised onions.
– Fold up the corners of the puff pastry around its
centre, leaving the sausage on show & glaze the top with the beaten egg.
– Sprinkle the presents with crushed hazelnuts and bake in a preheated oven (200C) for 25-30 mins.