Try out this sausage mac n cheese created by our hog sis Lizzie B
– 6 Jolly Hog Caramelised Onion sausages
– 2 medium red onions
– 2tbsp balsamic vinegar
– 75g butter
– 2 teaspoons mustard
– 5 tbsp flour
– salt and pepper
– 1 pint milk
– 200g Cheddar
– 250g Gruyère (50g reserved for the top)
– 300g spiral or macaroni pasta
– Breadcrumbs (around 100g)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
2. Put the sausages in a frying pan along with a tbsp olive oil. Cook until browned on all sides, turning frequently throughout. Place in the preheated oven for around 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
3. Meanwhile, thinly slice the red onion and place in the same frying pan. Cook the onions over a high heat until browned and caramelised. This should take around 15-20 minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar and continue to cook until dry. Put to one side until needed.
4. Once the sausages are done, cut each one into small pieces (as if you were cutting them up for kids!) and place to one side with the onions.
5. To make the bechamel sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan and cook on a low heat until melted. Add the mustard and cook for one minute. Stir in the flour and cook for another couple of minutes. Add in the milk and then stir with a wooden spoon for 5-8 minutes until thickened.
6. Stir in the 200g grated cheddar and 200g of the gruyere and stir for another minute until melted. Take off the heat and season with salt and pepper.
7. Cook the pasta according to packet instructions. Once cooked, drain the pasta (reserving some of the starchy pasta water) and put into a large mixing bowl. Add in ¾ of the cooked red onions and the sausages. Mix together and then pour in the bechamel. Stir together, adding some of the reserved pasta water if it needs loosening.
8. Transfer the mixture to an ovenproof dish and top with the bread crumbs, remaining red onions and 50g of gruyere cheese.
9. Place under the grill for around 6-8 minutes until golden and bubbling!