How do you make something better? Make it giant! We love sausage rolls in our house hold, but there’s never enough of them, so this giant sausage roll is the solution. Think of it as a sausage savoury Yule log! This giant Christmas sausage roll is a great centrepiece for Christmas Day. If you don’t get through it all, save it in the fridge and chop into slices for Christmas leftovers lunches and mini sausage roll bites. That’s your snacks and lunch sorted for the next week!
– 2 packs of The Jolly Hog Caramelised Porkers sausages
– 320g puff pastry
– 1 beaten egg
– Olive oil
– 1 onion
– Fennel seeds or poppy seed
– Preheat your oven to 200c or 190c fan.
– Remove the sausage meat from their casings by running a sharp knife along the length of the Porkers. We use the Caramelised Porkers but you could use any of our
sausage flavours. Porky Blacks also work great.
– Combine the sausage meat into a large bowl.
– If you’re a fan of fennel, then at this point add oil and fennel seeds to a frying pan and fry for a minute or two. Then add this to the sausage meat.
– Unroll your puff pastry sheets onto a board or floured surface.
– Chuck your sausage meat into the pastry, placing it lengthways down the middle of the pastry, rolling the meat into well, the shape of a sausage!
– With the sausage meat sitting in the centre of the pasty sheet, slice the pastry into 1cm strips from the outer edge – right up to the filling.
– Carefully cross the strips over the sausage meat, covering it and creating a lattice. (If this is a bit fussy, you can just simply fold the pastry over the meat without cutting it.).
– Glaze the giant sausage roll with egg wash (Top tip: If you don’t own a pastry brush, you can use a bit of clean kitchen towel, it also works well for glazing.)
– Line a baking tray with baking paper and carefully transfer the sausage roll onto it.
– Sprinkle with fennel seeds or poppy seeds and leave the sausage roll to bake for 30-35 minutes until the sausage meat is cooked, and no pink meat remains.