We are obsessed with this Croque Monsieur. It makes the ultimate breakfast, brunch, lunch and even dinner. It’s also an amazing recipe for using up leftover Christmas Gammon, so add it to your Christmas leftovers recipe list! If you need inspiration for Christmas Gammon recipes, then look no further! Slice our Black Treacle Gammon and use it in these cheesy sandwiches for the ultimate Croque Monsieur. If you can’t get your hands on our gammon, you can also use our Extra Thick Cut Black Treacle Ham for that same delicious treacle flavour.
– Take a loaf of sourdough bread and slice thickly, ready to make the sandwiches.
– Spread a thin layer of Dijon mustard over top side of your bread.
– Take our British Black Treacle Gammon (cooked) and cut 8 thick slices.
– Grate 250g of gruyère or use a milder cheese like mozzarella if you have fussier little piglets eating.
– Make sandwiches with the bread, layering the cheese and ham.
– Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat them. Mix in the milk and the single cream for an extra indulgent taste.
– Take an oven-proof dish and butter the bottom of it to prevent the sandwiches sticking.
– Arrange the sandwiches across the bottom before pouring your egg mixture over the top. Leave the sarnies for 15 mins to allow the mixture to soak in.
– Heat the oven to 180c or 160c fan. Bake the Gammon Croque Monsieurs until the egg mixture sets, checking back after 10 mins.
– Scatter with chives to serve.