This is our British take on an American comfort food classic – Fried Chicken! We know lots of you lovely sausage lovers are gluten free, so we wanted to find a gluten free alternative. We’ve swapped out the traditional breadcrumbs and flour you’d use for fried chicken and used pecans instead. The pecans add a delicious crunch and crisp to the chicken, plus they pack more protein in to your meal. The best bit about this meal is that you don’t have to season the chicken at all, because we’ve done all the work for you with our delicious Jolly Hen Chicken Sausages. This recipe really lets their rosemary, thyme & lemon flavours shine through but you could mix it up and try this with a spicy Asian sauce or buffalo sauce!
– 1 pack of Jolly Hen Chicken Chipolata Sausages
– Pecans (about a cup but you can add however much you’d like)
– Wholegrain mustard
– 1 tsp garlic powder
– 1 tsp onion powder
– 1 tsp smoked paprika
– Dijon mustard
– Olive oil
– Take a pack of our Jolly Hen Chicken Sausages and remove the meat from inside of them by running a knife down the long sides of them.
– Shape the chicken sausage meat into 4 chicken fillet shapes.
– Pre-heat the oven to 200 fan.
– In a bowl, combine the paprika, onion powder & garlic powder. Add salt and pepper to taste.
– Use a food processor to blitz the pecans. (If you don’t have one, chop then crush them with the bottom of a wine bottle!)
– Combine the pecans with the seasoning and stir.
– Sprinkle half of the crispy pecan mix onto the top side of the chicken fillets and then flip them and sprinkle on the rest, using your fingers to secure it down.
– Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat and then add your fillets. Fry for 5 minutes before flipping and repeating on the other side.
– Whilst the chickens frying, chop a courgette into thin rounds.
– After the 10 minutes of frying, add the chicken fillets to an oven tray lined with greaseproof paper. Cook for 10 minutes.
– Meanwhile, fry the courgette with butter or oil in a frying pan. When it’s almost cooked, sprinkle on grated parmesan and wait until it melts.
– Serve up the crispy chicken with rocket & cheesy courgette. For a nice sauce to go with it, mix equal parts wholegrain mustard, dijon mustard & honey and drizzle.