These BBQ Chicken Sausage Flatbreads are the ultimate al fresco dinner and the perfect Summer recipe for chicken sausages. We find it so satisfying making Greek Flatbreads on our BBQ – who didn’t make their own bread during lockdown after all? They end up doughy, crispy and crunchy and make for the perfect holder for our rosemary and thyme chicken sausages! To make these flatbreads truly taste like Summer, we love using Middle Eastern flavours with a spicy harissa and yoghurt dressing that’ll help trick your tastebuds into thinking you’re on holiday. Plus, because this meal is so easy and quick, you can get the children involved with this campfire cooking. Try this for a lighter and healthier alternative to your normal BBQ recipe and add it to your list of go-to chicken sausage recipes!
– 1 pack of Jolly Hen Chicken Chipolata Sausages
– 300g white flour
– 1 level tsp yeast
– 1 tsp salt
– 1/4 tsp sugar
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 120ml warm water
– Harissa paste
– Salad to serve
– Plain greek yoghurt
– Start by making your flatbreads and leaving them to prove. You can use store bought ones to cheat – we won’t judge you – but there’s something really satisfying about making your own bread on the BBQ, especially these flatbreads, which are super easy to make.
– Mix your dry ingredients in a large bowl.
– Add the olive oil and water. Keep adding water to make the dough soft if extra is needed.
– Sprinkle flour on a surface and add your flatbreads. Knead for 10 minutes or so – put some welly in!
– Grease a bowl with olive oil or butter then add your dough, and cover with a tea towel, leaving it somewhere warm. You can use fast action dried yeast to make this recipe quicker. If you’re using that, leave for 30 mins, but if you use regular yeast, leave the bowl for a few hours.
– Fire up your BBQ and add a pack of our Jolly Hen chicken sausages.
– Another thing you can do is roast a whole onion on the BBQ. If you want to do this, do it at the very beginning as it can take up to an hour. Just add the whole onion – skin on – to the direct flame (below the griddle itself) & then remove carefully. Peel off the skin and you will have a delicious soft and smoked whole onion to use in your chicken sausage BBQ flatbreads.
– When the dough has been proved (normally it doubles in size), roll out the dough and divide it into quarters (if you’re making 4 flatbreads).
– Add your flatbreads onto the BBQ, and leave them until they begin to puff up. Flip them and cook them for a few minutes on each side or until they have lovely charr marks on both sides.
– When your sausages are almost done, mix harissa paste with greek yoghurt to make a delicious Middle Eastern sauce for your flatbreads. Add more harissa paste the more spicy you like it!
– Top your flatbreads with a generous spread of the harissa paste, our chicken sausages, your softened BBQ onion, tomato & some salad.