This Bacon potato croquettes recipe is the ultimate potato side dish or Friday night dinner. A great chance to get a bit chefy and make these amazing, tasty and comforting croquettes. You can make this cheese croquettes recipe with our Black Treacle Bacon, like we have, for a nice sweetness and smokiness through the creamy and fluffy croquettes, or try it with our Black Treacle Ham for ham croquettes. You can have these potato bon bons with any sauce of choice, we like them with roasted pepper sauce but chimichurri or a chilli jam or a romesco sauce could all taste amazing!
To make 10 large potato bon bons:
– 1800g mash
– 200g The Jolly Hog Black Treacle bacon (or our Black Treacle British Ham)
– 125g salted butter
– 2 egg yolk
– 15g mozzarela log or grated mozzarella
– 10g pecorino or parmesan shaves
– 10g rocket
– 10ml extra virgin olive oil
– 50g piquillo pepper sauce
– 3 garlic cloves
– 1 White onion
– 1 tin piquillo pepper
– 2g smoked paprika
– 15ml white wine
– For this bacon potato croquettes recipe, start by peeling the potatoes then boiling them until soft (when a knife passes through like butter)
– Add butter and seasoning then mash the potatoes.
– In the meantime, cook or black treacle British bacon until crispy and then chop into bacon crumbs.
– Add the black treacle bacon crumb to the mash potato and mix. Once combined, shape into small balls for the bon bons. Stuff a cube of mozzarella into the ball and reshape.
– Set up 3 bowls – flour, egg and panko bread crumbs. For each bon bon, add them to the flour, followed by the egg and then the panko breadcrumb bowl and set aside on a tray.
– Chop the garlic, onion and piqullo peppers and grate the pecorino and set aside for later.
– Add extra virgin olive oil into a pan then the chopping garlic and diced onion. Cook until the onions are slightly caramelised then add the piquillo peppers and cook for another 4 mins.
– Add white wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add smoked paprika, salt, black pepper and a splash of water into the sauce and mix. Let it boil for a few mins.
– Take off the heat and let it cool for a few minutes. Meanwhile,add the sauce to a blender and blend until smooth.
– Deep fry the bon bon for around 4-5 minutes (at around 170 degrees) depending on the size of the bon bon. You could also make this bacon potato croquettes recipe in your air fryer or baking for a healthier option.
– On the serving plate, add the piquillo pepper sauce, add the bon bons, top with pecorino and serve up!