These bacon and cheese crispy croquettes are the perfect summer snack. They’re great for sharing or serving as a side dish with your BBQ. We used our Streaky Bacon for this simple recipe but you can also mix it up and try the bacon and cheese croquettes with our Black Treacle bacon for a different, sweeter flavour.
• A pack of Jolly Hog Streaky Bacon
• 100g Mature Cheddar grated (or extra if you’re feeling cheesy)
• Flour seasoned with salt and pepper
• 2 cups Panko breadcrumbs (or normal breadcrumbs work too) seasoned with salt
• 2 eggs (make sure to beat them)
1) Take your potatoes and mash them until you have about 3 cups full, before leaving in the fridge for a few hours to cool.
2) Dice our Jolly Hog Streaky Bacon into small pieces & fry until crispy. Try not to eat all the bacon in the process.
3) Mix the bacon into a bowl with the mashed potato. Grate in 100g mature cheddar.
4) At this point you can add a little extra flavour by adding in a sprinkle of crushed mint and dill.
5) Set up your own little food conveyor line, placing flour, egg and panko breadcrumbs into separate bowls.
6) Time to get your hands dirty ? Roll the potato mixture into small balls (croquette shapes, you know the ones).
7) Coat the balls in flour first, then dip in the egg, and finally, cover it with the panko breadcrumbs.
8) Heat oil in a pan until very hot and then drop in the croquettes a few at a time. Fry them until the croquettes are looking golden brown and crisp.
9) Drain the croquettes from oil by leaving on kitchen towel to soak up any grease.
10) We like serving our bacon and cheese croquettes with lemon wedges and a lemon and garlic mayonnaise – which you can make yourself by mixing garlic and lemon juice into your standard mayo.