Poached Egg Crumpet with Bacon Butter Recipe
Take your bacon breakfast recipes to the next level with this bacon butter recipe with poached egg crumpets. Bacon crumpets are a favourite in our households, but this homemade butter recipe takes a classic simple breakfast to a whole new level of delicious. Try these poached egg and bacon crumpets as your Christmas breakfast recipe or Boxing day brunch recipe to wow your guests with little effort on your side! You can even prepare the bacon butter recipe in advance to make this recipe super simple. Our Double Smoked British Bacon gives the bacon butter a smokey and salty taste that works beautifully with the avocado and spicy sriracha yoghurt. Delish!
FOR THE BACON BUTTER
1 pack The Jolly Hog Smoked Back British Bacon
50g salted butter, softened
Cracked black pepper
FOR THE CRUMPET
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 thick sourdough crumpets
2 large St Ewes Free Range Eggs
1 avocado, sliced
2 tbsp greek yoghurt
1 tbsp sriracha
Sea salt & cracked black pepper
- First, make the bacon butter. Place 2 rashers of bacon under a hot grill for 5 – 8 minutes until very crispy. Remove from the grill, allow to fully cool before dicing into small pieced.
- Place the softened butter in a small bowl and add the diced bacon. Add some freshly cracked pepper and beat together all the ingredients. Set aside until ready to serve. Grill the remaining 4 rashers of bacon to your desired crispiness.
- Place a pan of water over a medium heat and bring to boil. Once simmering, turn down to a medium-low heat and add the vinegar. Using a whisk, carefully make a whirlpool in the pan before cracking in one of the eggs. Once the first egg starts to turn white and the water is still gently spinning, crack in the second egg.
- Allow the eggs to lightly poach for 2 – 3 minutes until the white has set but the yolk is still runny. Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and drain carefully on kitchen roll.
- Toast the crumpet until golden before buttering with a generous amount of bacon butter. Place on a plate along with the cooked bacon and avocado. Place the perfectly poached eggs on top of the buttery crumpet.
- In a small bowl mix together the yoghurt and sriracha before spooning over the poached eggs. Season the plate generously with salt and pepper and serve immediately.