Sprout & Bacon Best Cauliflower Cheese Recipe
We’re labelling this the best cauliflower cheese recipe going. Cauliflower cheese recipes with bacon are always the best, but by using earthy sprouts and our sweet Black Treacle Bacon – a scrumptiously sweet British bacon cured in black treacle – this easy cauliflower cheese recipe is taken to the next level. Our extra thick cut bacon gives this baked cauliflower cheese crumble a smokey and sweet edge, and Wyke Farms Vintage Cheddar adds extra depth, making it the best cauliflower cheese recipe out there. Try it if you’re looking for the best Christmas recipes or Christmas food ideas, with this bacon cauliflower cheese being the ultimate Christmas lunch ideas or Sunday Roast dinner side dish.
SERVES 6 – 8 (as a side)
1kg cauliflower, cut into large florets
500g blanched or frozen sprouts
1 pack The Jolly Hog Black Treacle Bacon
FOR THE CHEESE SAUCE
30g salted butter
50g plain flour
150g Wyke Vintage Cheddar, finely grated
1 tsp ground nutmeg
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
FOR THE CRUMBLE
175g plain flour
100g chilled salted butter, cubed
30g Wyke Vintage Cheddar, grated
1/2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- To begin our best cauliflower cheese recipe, preheat oven 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a pan of salted water. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 8 – 10 minutes until the florets are just tender. For the last two minutes of cooking add the sprouts to just warm through. Drain and tip into large baking dish.
- Roughly dice the bacon and place in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Fry for 4 – 5 minutes until the pieces are caramelised and crispy. Drain on a piece of kitchen roll and set aside.
- Make the cheese sauce by gently melting the butter in a heavy-bottom pan. Sprinkle in the flour and mix together well to form a roux. Allow to cook for 1 minute over a medium heat, stirring continuously to ensure it doesn’t burn or stick. Gradually add the milk whisking continuously to achieve a smooth, thick sauce. Turn the heat down to low and sprinkle in the cheese and nutmeg. Stir until the cheese has completely melted and season to taste.
- Sprinkle half of the crispy baking over the cauliflower and sprouts before carefully pouring over the cheese sauce ensuring all the vegetables are well coated.
- Sieve the flour for the crumble into a bowl before adding the chilled butter. Using your fingertips, lightly rub the butter into the flour to create a sandy texture. Add the grated cheese, dried herbs and remaining crispy bacon.
- Gently squeeze the crumble mixrure in your fingertips to form some chunky nuggets before sprinkling all over the vegetables and cheese sauce.
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes until the topping is golden and crunchy and the sauce in bubbling at the edges.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving, in our opinion, the best cauliflower cheese recipe. alongside your favourite festive feast.