Best Hot Dog Recipe
Looking for the best hot dog recipe? If you want more hot dog ideas or hot dog toppings, this combo with our British hot dogs is a winner! Using our British sausages, tangy pickled onions and homemade chimichurri, this might be the ultimate hot dog recipe. You can try this recipe, or any of our hot dog recipes, with our Jolly Dogs British Hot Dogs – smokey hot dog sausages that are extra long and made with smoked sea salt – or our great taste award winning peppery Proper Porkers British sausages.
Chimichurri recipe (optional):
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 handful of chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt & pepper
- 1/2 a red chilli chopped
- PInch of oregano
- First, make the pickled red onions – this is best done at least an hour in advance. Place the sliced onions in a large, deep bowl or sterilised jar. Pour over just enough boiling water to cover the onions. Allow to sit for 2 minutes.
- Stir through the sugar until dissolved before pouring in the vinegar. Stir to combine then set aside for an hour.
- When nearly ready to serve, heat the grill to medium-high. Place the sausages on a grill pan (no need to prick the skins) and place under the grill for 18 – 22 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Make your chimichurri with all the chimichurri ingredients as an optional dressing for the hot dogs.
- Slice the rolls down the middle using a bread knife before filling with a small handful of leaves. Add one cooked sausage to each roll and top with a squirt of mustard. Finish the rolls with the prepared pickled onions and serve.