This French Onion Soup recipe with bacon is the perfect Winter warmer. Nothing beats a good soup and sandwich recipe and this caramelised onion sausage sandwich is the perfect combination with the easy French onion soup with bacon being the ultimate comfort food. Our British bacon adds a delicious smokiness to the soup and a nice crispy top – especially with the delicious cheese crisp recipe. Use our Caramelised Porker British caramelised onion sausages for the ultimate sweet and savoury taste.
For the French onion soup recipe:
– Hendersons relish (optional)
– 70g butter
– 1kg of onions
– 5 garlic cloves, minced
– 1 tsp suagr
– 200ml white wine
– 3 tbsp plain flour or cornflour
– Beef stock (about 1 litre)
– Salt and pepper (lots)
For the caramelised onion sausage sandwich recipe:
– 1 pack The Jolly Hog Caramelised Porkers British sausages– Dijon mustard
– Red onions (optional)
– Sugar (optional)
– Balsamic glaze (optional)
For the cheese crisp recipe for the onion topper:
– Grated cheese (we used a mix of extra mature cheddar and Jarlsberg cheese)
For the bacon crisp:
– 1 pack The Jolly Hog British Streaky Bacon
For the French Onion soup recipe:
– Melt butter in a large saucepan and add your chopped onions. Fry until softened.
– Add the sugar in for a further 20 mins, stirring so they don’t catch.
– Put in the minced garlic for a couple of minutes then add the Hendersons relish and the flour.
– Stir in the flour then increase the heat. Add the wine and stock. Simmer for 20 mins.
For the sausage sandwich:
– Warm up baguettes of your choice, spread with a generous amount of butter and then dijon mustard.
– Caramelise your red onions by slicing them extra thin and frying for 30-45 minutes on a low and steady heat with butter, sugar and balsamic glaze.
– Load the baguette with rocket, your British sausages and the caramelised onions.
For the cheese crisp recipe:
– Grate your cheeses and mix together.
For the bacon crisp:
– Grill our Double Smoked Streaky British Bacon until super crispy then shred with your hands and add to the soup.
– With baking paper on an oven tray, add the grated cheese in mounds with a bit of space away from each other. Add a crack of pepper and salt.
– Put in the oven on 210 degrees for 5-10 mins keeping a close eye on them. Remove when they’ve become more solidified in their cheese crisp shape. Allow them to cool and harden for a couple of minutes.