This harissa pork meatballs recipe is one that you’ll make once a week once you give it a go. We love making sausage meatballs from our sausages because of their lovely meatiness and herbiness that makes every meal flavoursome with minimum effort. These sausage pitta breads are an amazing lunch to prep in advance, or share this sausage meatballs recipe with friends over Summer with al fresco dining! Ben and Rosie cooked this up for the team for a tasty Monday lunch using the delicious magazine recipe. They switched it up a bit to use our Caramelised Porker British Sausages with caramelised onion chunks in them, helping give this dish extra flavour. You could also use our Proper Porkers for an extra pepperiness to the pitta to give these spicy pork meatballs an extra kick!
– 1 pack of our Proper Porkers British Sausages, skinned
– 700g (about 2 large) sweet potatoes, cut into wedges
– 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
– 1 small onion, finely chopped
– Knob fresh ginger, finely grated
– 1 lemongrass stalk, outer leaves discarded, very finely chopped
– 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
– 3 tsp harissa
– Handful fresh coriander, chopped
– 50g fresh breadcrumbs
– 1 large free-range egg yolk
– 175g fresh mayonnaise
– Squeeze of lemon juice
– 4 white pitta breads, warmed
– 100g rocket
– Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/ gas 6. Cook the sweet potato in a large pan of salted boiling water for 4 minutes, then drain well. Toss in 2 tbsp of the oil, put in a baking tray, season and roast for 20 minutes, turning now and then, until golden.
– In a big pan, fry the onion in 1 tbsp oil for 3-4 minutes. Add the ginger, lemongrass, garlic and 2 tsp harissa. Fry for 2-3 minutes; season, cool and put in a bowl. Add the sausage meat, coriander, breadcrumbs and egg yolk. Season, shape into 16 small balls and chill for 10 minutes. Drizzle in a little oil, then bake in a roasting tray for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. (Shake the tin occasionally to cook evenly.) Remove, set aside and keep warm.
– Mix the mayonnaise with the rest of the harissa and the lemon juice.
– Split the pittas in half, put a handful of rocket and a few meatballs in each, then a dollop of harissa mayo. Serve with the sweet potato wedges.