– 2 packs of The Jolly Hog RSPCA Assured, Outdoor Bred, British Sausages – use our pork and apple sausages – Apple Porkers
– 1 pack of The Jolly Hog British Double Smoked Streaky Bacon
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 1 Tbsp butter
– 2 large leeks
– Salt and pepper
– 1 bay leaf
– Small bunch of thyme
– Pinch of nutmeg
– 200ml dry apple cider
– 75ml chicken stock
– 2 tins cannellini beans
– 70ml cream
– 1 tsp Dijon mustard
– To begin making this apple sausage casserole recipe, add oil to a hot pan and brown the sausages.
– Once the sausages are browned, remove them from the pan and place in oven to at 160C to continue cooking.
– Meanwhile lower the pan temp to medium before adding in butter and finely chopped leeks.
– Cook leeks for approx 5 mins until softened, before adding in seasonings, cider beans, mustard and chicken stock.
– Let it simmer for 10 minutes before mixing through cream and the sausages and let cook for a further 10 mins before serving.
– Whilst that’s all cooking, combine breadcrumbs with parmesan and cook on a tray with salt, pepper, whole garlic cloves and olive oil until lightly toasted
– Get a separate pan going with olive oil or butter, chopped sweetheart cabbage and chopped up streaky bacon. Sautee them until the bacon is crispy and the cabbage is softened.
– Top the apple sausage casserole with the toasted breadcrumbs and serve up with sourdough bread or with buttery mash for more sausage recipe ideas.