These streaky bacon wrapped chicken thighs are perfect if you don’t want to cook a whole turkey or chicken this year. Or if you’re looking for a “small bird roast” to go alongside your Christmas Gammon, these roast chickens in a blanket – or chicks in blankets as we like to call them – are great. Give this bacon wrapped roast chicken recipe a go for your warm up Christmas dinners or a Winter Sunday roast.
– 1 pack of our The Jolly Hog British Smoked Streaky Bacon
– 6 skin-on, boneless chicken thighs (or switch to drumsticks)
– 100g Brown sugar (reduce the amount for a healthier recipe or switch to honey or maple syrup if preferred)
– 2 tbsp Chilli powder
– 2 tbsp Garlic powder
– 2 tbsp onion powder Pepper
– Olive oil
– 1 tsp paprika
– Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
– In a large, flat-based bowl, combine chilli powder, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika. This will form the seasoning for your bacon wrapped chicken thighs.
– Take each chicken thigh and dip in a bowl of olive oil before pressing it down into the spices, coating it on all sides and placing it to the side for later.
– Once you’ve coated every chicken thigh, heat oil in a frying pan large enough to contain them all. If you don’t have a pan large enough just do them in batches, making sure not to over crowd the pan or they won’t get crispy enough.
– Add the chicken thighs skinside down when the oil is very hot (It should sizzle as you put them into the pan). Leave to cook for 3 minutes before turning onto the other side for another 3 minutes, then remove the thighs and place to the side.
– Once your thighs have cooled, wrap them in streaky bacon, using 2 rashers of streaky bacon per chicken thigh.
– Sprinkle the tops of the chicken and bacon parcels with brown sugar, making sure they are evenly coated.
– Pop the chicken in the oven for around 30 minutes – until the bacon browns and begins to crisp. Use a deep pan dish to catch all the yummy juices.
– Check the chicken to make sure it is cooked all the way through and not pink, and then whack the grill on for an extra minute or two if you want to make the bacon extra crispy.
– We then like to add any juices in the pan to our gravy! Tuck into your bacon wrapped chicken thighs.