– 1 pack of our The Jolly Hog Smoked Streaky British Bacon
– Leftover Brussel Sprouts Leftover cabbage
– Leftover roasted potatoes (about 400g)
– Leftover root veg (all optional)
– 1 tbsp duck fat or goose fat
– 1 white onion
– 2 garlic cloves
– 2 Eggs
– To make this Boxing Day Breakfast recipe, take a pack of our streaky British bacon and place it under a medium grill for 4-8 minutes, turning occasionally.
– For the next step for this bacon bubble and squeak recipe, chop an onion into thin slices and crush the garlic cloves. Mash up your cold, leftover roast potatoes. In a non-stick frying pan, melt your fat of choice.
– Shred your leftover sprouts and add them to the pan with the other veggies. Leave to fry for 5 mins.
– Add your potato mixture to the pan, mixing with the rest of the veg, and then use a spatula to push it into potato cake shapes. Don’t worry about getting these perfect, a rough edge just makes them look more rustic.
– Leave the mixture to fry until it begins to brown and then flip it to the other side.
– Whilst the potato is cooking, heat water in a saucepan until it simmers gently. Add a tiny splash of vinegar to help keep the egg together.
– Break each egg into a dish (one at a time). Hold this dish just above the water and slip the egg into the water as gently as you can. Repeat for each egg.
– Reduce the heat so the water is just about simmering and cook for 3-4 minutes (depending on how you like your yolk). Remove the egg with a slotted spoon & then drain it before adding it to your plate.
– Once you’re happy with the potato cakes, remove from the pan. Serve your bubble and squeak up, adding your poached eggs and streaky bacon on top.