– 1 pack of our Great Taste Award winning Proper Porker sausages
– 1 large red onion, sliced
– 3 tsp white sugar
– 2 Cooking apples
– 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
– 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
– 1/2 tsp cinnamon
– 1 pack of puff pastry
– 1 beaten egg
– Hazelnuts (crushed)
- Add a large knob of butter to a frying pan and melt over a low heat.
– Add the red onion slices with the white sugar & stir until the onions are caramelised (about 15 mins).
– To make your apple sauce, peel, core and chop
your cooking apples into large cubes.
– Add the apple alongside apple cider vinegar, cayenne pepper and cinnamon to the pan and cook for 20-30 minutes until the the apples have caramelised & the mixture has reduced. Your sauce should still have nice chunks of apple in it.
– Set aside to cool.
– Take a pack of our sausages and run a knife down each of the sausages lengthways, removing the skin.
– Divide each sausage into two, shaping into balls.
– Unroll your puff pastry sheet, and cut into 12 squares.
– Add a spoon of apple sauce to each square then add the sausage ball & caramelised onions.
– Fold up the corners of the puff pastry around its
centre, leaving the sausage on show & glaze the top with the beaten egg.
– Sprinkle the presents with crushed hazelnuts and bake in a preheated oven (200C) for 25-30 mins.