– 2 packs of The Jolly Hog Caramelised Porkers sausages
– 320g puff pastry
– 1 beaten egg
– Olive oil
– 1 onion
– Fennel seeds or poppy seed
– Preheat your oven to 200c or 190c fan.
– Remove the sausage meat from their casings by running a sharp knife along the length of the Porkers. We use the Caramelised Porkers but you could use any of our
sausage flavours. Porky Blacks also work great.
– Combine the sausage meat into a large bowl.
– If you’re a fan of fennel, then at this point add oil and fennel seeds to a frying pan and fry for a minute or two. Then add this to the sausage meat.
– Unroll your puff pastry sheets onto a board or floured surface.
– Chuck your sausage meat into the pastry, placing it lengthways down the middle of the pastry, rolling the meat into well, the shape of a sausage!
– With the sausage meat sitting in the centre of the pasty sheet, slice the pastry into 1cm strips from the outer edge – right up to the filling.
– Carefully cross the strips over the sausage meat, covering it and creating a lattice. (If this is a bit fussy, you can just simply fold the pastry over the meat without cutting it.).
– Glaze the giant sausage roll with egg wash (Top tip: If you don’t own a pastry brush, you can use a bit of clean kitchen towel, it also works well for glazing.)
– Line a baking tray with baking paper and carefully transfer the sausage roll onto it.
– Sprinkle with fennel seeds or poppy seeds and leave the sausage roll to bake for 30-35 minutes until the sausage meat is cooked, and no pink meat remains.