– Take a loaf of sourdough bread and slice thickly, ready to make the sandwiches.
– Spread a thin layer of Dijon mustard over top side of your bread.
– Take our British Black Treacle Gammon (cooked) and cut 8 thick slices.
– Grate 250g of gruyère or use a milder cheese like mozzarella if you have fussier little piglets eating.
– Make sandwiches with the bread, layering the cheese and ham.
– Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat them. Mix in the milk and the single cream for an extra indulgent taste.
– Take an oven-proof dish and butter the bottom of it to prevent the sandwiches sticking.
– Arrange the sandwiches across the bottom before pouring your egg mixture over the top. Leave the sarnies for 15 mins to allow the mixture to soak in.
– Heat the oven to 180c or 160c fan. Bake the Gammon Croque Monsieurs until the egg mixture sets, checking back after 10 mins.
– Scatter with chives to serve.