We love this as a Christmas recipe, but don’t get us wrong, we have this Toad in the Hole all year round. Our pigs in blankets are available all year round so of course we find pigs in blankets recipes to get creative with. We love this fun twist on this traditional British dish, plus it gives it a Christmas-y spin by adding our Black Treacle Bacon wrapped Pigs in Blankets. If you can’t get your hands on pigs in blankets, wrap our Little Porker Chipolatas in our Smoked Streaky Bacon for giant pigs in blankets that still work great with this recipe.
– Preheat your oven to 220C.
– Whisk together 2 eggs then slowly add in 125g flour.
– Next, add 300ml full fat milk with a pinch of salt and pepper, giving it a good mix to make sure you have gotten rid of any lumps. Leave to rest whilst you prepare the pigs in blankets.
– Put the Pigs in Blankets in a medium roasting tin with oil. Bake for 15 minutes or until the oil is hot and smoking.
– Carefully remove the tin from the oven. Chop 2 red onions into thick wedges & chuck them into the pan with a handful of thyme.
– Gently pour in the batter to your oven tray.
– Pop back in the oven and cook for approx. 20–30
minutes until the batter has puffed up and gone golden.
– Serve with gravy and tenderstem broccoli for the
ultimate Sunday lunch.