This recipe combines some of our favourite things – chicken sausages, chilli jam and hash browns! We love making Shakshouka for breakfast with either our sausages or bacon so we thought why not try it with our chicken sausages. The rosemary and thyme in our Jolly Hen Chicken sausages adds a lovely herbiness to the Shakshouka style sauce, made even better by the sweetness and spiciness of the chilli jam. Load your breakfast tortilla wraps up with our Smoked Streaky Bacon, fried eggs and hash browns for an extra indulgent dish. Enjoy this chicken sausage recipe any time of the day – perfect for breakfasts, brunch and lunches!
– 1 pack of Jolly Hen Chicken Sausage chipolatas
– 1 pack of Jolly Hog Smoked Streaky Bacon
– 2 tbsp Paprika (smoked preferably!)
– Stokes Sauce Chilli Jam (optional)
– 1 pepper
– 1 onion
– 4 garlic cloves
– Olive oil
– 1 tsp cumin
– 1 can of chopped tomatoes
– Hash browns
– Mission tortilla wraps
– Feta cheese (optional)
– Avocado (optional)
– Lime (optional)
– Start by making your Shakshouka sauce. Chop 1 pepper, 1 onion and 4 garlic cloves into small pieces
– Heat olive oil on a medium heat in a large sauce pan.
– Add the pepper and onion into your pan and cook until the onion begins to soften (roughly 5 mins).
– Next, chuck in your garlic and let it sizzle for a minute or so.
– Add in your spices next. You can mix this up to your flavour palette but we used 2 tsp smoked paprika & 1 tsp cumin.
– Pour a can of tomatoes into your pan (including the lovely tomato juice).
– Use your spoon or spatula to break down the tomatoes into smaller chunks and reduce to a simmer.
– Sample the sauce and see if it needs more salt, pepper or chilli and then cook for a further 5-8 mins.
– Grill your Jolly Hen chicken sausages and your Jolly Hog smoked streaky bacon according to pack instructions. If you’re using hash browns too, make sure to cook them now.
– You can make this Shakshouka tomato sauce in advance and re-heat for your meal. If you pre-made your Shakshuka sauce, re-heat it now in a saucepan.
– In the meantime, fry your eggs until the yolks are golden and runny and sprinkle them with smoked paprika for an extra kick.
– Make your guac whilst your chicken sausage and bacon are cooking by smashing avocado with a fork and combining with the juice of half a lime and salt and pepper to taste.
– Load up your chicken sausage and bacon shakshuka wraps starting with the tomato sauce, then the hash browns, chicken sausage & streaky bacon and then crumble your feta cheese and dollop your guac on top.