We’ve been obsessed with Bao buns for a while and after using lockdown to shape up on our cooking skills, we wanted to give our takeaway favourite a go. We used @corazonfood’s to make these fluffy gluten free bao buns, filling them with our slow cooked BBQ Pulled Pork for a fakeaway for all the family.
– 1 pack of Jolly Hog BBQ Pulled Pork
– 300g gluten free flour
– 1 pack dried yeast
– Pinch of salt
– 200ml lukewarm water
– Spring onions
1. For the buns, mix together 300g gluten free glour, 1 pack of dried yeast, 1 pinch of salt and 200ml of lukewarm water. Mix into a dough.
2. Add a little more water if it’s too dry.
3. Leave the dough to rise for a few hours to double its size in a warm place (you can cover it with a tea towel & place near your boiler).
4. Place a pack of our Pulled Pork in the oven & cook according to pack instructions.
5. Form small balls with the dough once risen & cut baking paper into rectangles.
6. Roll out the balls into ‘bao shapes’ & then put a piece of baking paper in between each one, folded on itself.
7. Use a bamboo basket or steamer if you have one (or you can put a colander above a sauce pan with a small amount of water in it. This works fine as long as you have a lid that fits the colander & pan).
8. Leave them for 15-20 mins to steam. Don’t open the lid even though you are curious to see how they are getting along.
9. Whilst they’re steaming, chop spring onions & cucumber & grate carrots to add into the buns.