Before Summer wraps up for the year, try these spicy bacon wrapped pineapple tacos – see what we did there ? This super easy recipe is amazing for the whole family, and takes less than half an hour to make. The spicy sauce goes great with the refreshing tanginess of the pineapple and the bacon adds a crunch!
• 1 pack of Jolly Hog Streaky Bacon
• 1 and a half red chilli
• 4 garlic cloves
• 2 tbsp brown sugar
• 3 tbsp cider vinegar
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tbsp soy sauce
• 1 tbsp cumin powder
• Chipotle flakes
• BBQ Sauce & Roasted kale (optional)
1. Start by making the spicy sauce for the tacos.
2. Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees.
3. Chop 1 and a half red chillis (use 2 if you like your food extra spicy or scale back to 1 chilli if you prefer it milder).
4. Crush 4 garlic cloves and finely chop or mince them
5. In a large bowl, mix together the red chillis and the garlic.
6. Add 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 3 tablespoons cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce.
7. Add 1 tablespoon of cumin powder or seeds and then coat in chiptole flakes (we just used pre-made flakes rather than chipotle peppers, but use these instead if you have them!). Stir away! You can also use a food blender here if you have one but we just used a spoon!
8. Chop the head off of a medium sized pineapple and cut it and core it. With the remaining pineapple, chop it into longer chunks of pineapple (perfect for wrapping your bacon around).
9. Lay the pineapple onto a baking tray and use a brush (or just get down and dirty with your hands) to rub the slices with your spicy sauce. Only use half of the sauce for now.
10. Take a pack of our Jolly Hog Smoked Streaky Bacon Rashers and wrap each chunk of pineapple with one rasher (just like you do with Pigs in Blankets!)
11. Place in the oven until the bacon is cooked and crisp. This can take 20 to 30 minutes but keep checking in on the bacon to see. If you prefer a crispier bacon, whack on the grill for the last few minutes.
12. Remove from the oven and drip the remaining sauce over the bacon wrapped pineapple slices. Serve your tacos up with corn tortillas – making them gluten free – and shredded red cabbage, BBQ sauce and roasted kale (we popped ours under the grill for a couple minutes with olive oil and chilli flakes). We added parmesan too but you could swap that for cilantro or make it spicier by adding chilli jam (Click here for our chilli jam recipe!)