Pork Wellington with black treacle bacon & apple sauce
We’ve all heard of a Beef Wellington but have you ever tried a double Pork Wellington. Yes, we said double pork, because this epic show stopper of a dish includes a giant sausage roll of our Porky Black sausages, wrapped in our Black Treacle Bacon. Topped off with some apple sauce, this recipe is just what you need to get you in the festive mood (what better way to do that than with delicious food!). Serve this as a Christmas show stopper or save it for your next Sunday Roast!
- Roll out a whole pack of puff pastry on greaseproof paper.
- Spread apple sauce across the puff pastry, leaving roughly an inch around each corner, making a mini rectangle.
- Take a pack of The Jolly Hog Black Treacle Bacon and cook it according to pack instructions until almost fully cooked.
- Lay the bacon side by side on top of the apple sauce. The pack should cover the whole rectangle of apple sauce.
- Chop mushrooms and 1 large white onion.
- Fry the mushrooms and onions in a pan with olive oil for 10-15 mins or until they go soft.
- Once soft, spread the mushrooms and onion mixture on top of the bacon.
- Take 2 packs of The Jolly Porky Black sausages and run a knife down each skin of the sausage, combining all the sausage meat in a bowl.
- Shape the sausage meat into spheres and lay them on top of your mushroom mixture.
- Use the back of a spoon to push them into more of a giant sausage roll.
- Wrap the lengthways puff pastry first over the top of the sausage, using egg wash (just a beaten egg) to seal it shut.
- Flip over your Wellington and seal the sides shut with egg wash again.
- You can add any design on top but we wanted a Christmas themed one, so used scissors to cut in a star pattern and sprinkled seeds to design it.
- Whack your Pork Wellington in the oven for 30 minutes, checking back after 25 minutes until it has fully browned on the outside.